Powered by IBForums
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Search | Member List | Help

Cabo Bite Report, Cabo San Lucas Fishing Report
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Capt George
Posted: Jul 17 2006, 11:50 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 151

FLY HOOKER SPORTFISHING
Captain George Landrum
[email protected]
www.flyhooker.com
Cabo Fish Report
July 10-16, 2006

WEATHER: The big news on the weather front this week was the appearance of the first hurricanes of the season. The closest point of approach was 450 milers to the southwest so we only received a spattering of rain here in Cabo but we definitely noticed the swells these storms produced. Hurricanes Bud and Carlotta are now tropical depressions and no longer have any effect on our region, but the swells produced did have an effect on the fishing. We also had a little rain from the storms, most of it in the mountains and out on the East Cape. Our daytime highs were lowered to the mid 80’s due to the overcast for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, but on Sunday the clouds were gone and at my house the thermometer (in the sun in the driveway) showed 120 degrees. Of course that was direct sun with no wind, in reality it was the low to mid 90’s with a slight breeze in most of the inland areas, and significantly cooler offshore.
WATER: With the overcast produced later in the week from the feeder bands associated with Hurricanes Bud and Carlotta we were not able to receive good sea temperature shots. I was on the water on both the Pacific side and the Sea of Cortez and the following is what I observed. On Friday on the Cortez side of the Cape we had water temperatures in the high 80’s, most of it from 85 to 88 degrees all over the place. From the 95 spot to the 1150 and out to the Cabrillo Seamount the water was a deep blue to purple color and 86-88 degrees. The storm swells were at 8-10 feet but there was no wind on top of them so it was not too bad. On Saturday I fished the Pacific side and the water at the Golden Gate bank was 85 degrees and blue with a tinge of green to it, farther to the south at the San Jaime Bank the temperature dropped to 80 degrees and was a light green in color. Several miles to the inside of the San Jaime the temperature raised to 83 degrees for several miles indicating a band of warm water along the Candelaria Canyon trough, but it was still a greenish color. The green tinged water color extended to 25 miles to the south of the Cape and it did not really clear up until well past the east of the 95 spot. On Sunday the swells had died down to an almost normal 3-6 feet and the water had also started to clean up a bit.
BAIT: Mostly Caballito and Mullet with a few Mackerel at the normal $2 per bait.
FISHING:
BILLFISH: The Striped Marlin bite has continued to drop off with the increase in water temperatures but the Blue and Black Marlin bite has improved. This means that there were fewer Marlin caught, but those that were brought to the boats were larger in size. I heard an unconfirmed report of a Blue Marlin weighed at the Cabo scales on Friday that was supposed to have pushed the needle to between 900 and 1,000 pounds, the fish was reported to have been caught by one of the fleet boats at the 95 spot. Most of the Marlin action was close to shore, between 1 and 5 miles out and it was a mix of Striped Marlin and small (250 pound class) Blue Marlin. The warm waters have also brought Sailfish into our area and the catch of these Billfish was almost equal to the Striped Marlin action. The Marlin action dropped off quite a bit late in the week with the advent of the large storm swells in our area, but this effect was also very pronounced on other species as well. If I had to hazard a guess, it would be that the billfish success ratio this week ran about 40% with most of the fish taken on trolled lures, and most of the action happening on the Cortez side of the Cape.
YELLOWFIN TUNA: We are still waiting for the Tuna to show up in numbers. For two days in the middle of the week there was a good bit on fish in the 30-40 pound class at the San Jaime Banks, but then the storm swells moved in as well as the Purse Seine boats and then there were no more fish to be had. It may be that the reason is not entirely the Seine boats, because the water also cooled a bit and turned greenish, but for whatever the reason, the fish disappeared. I did hear of a boat getting into the Yellowfin amongst the Porpoise on the east side of the San Jaime on Saturday and doing very well, but since I was in the same area and saw no other boats there on the radar I tend to think it was just a bad joke. There were scattered pods of Porpoise found to the south at 30+ miles and they did produce Yellowfin on occasion, the largest I heard of and could confirm from that area was #94. Off of the Punta Gorda area there were reports of blind strikes on school fish to 35 pounds. Hopefully the Tuna fishing will get better soon.
DORADO: For the second week in a row Dorado were the fish of the week. This does not mean the bite as wide open by any means; this just means that there were more Dorado caught per trip than any other species. Most of the fish were between 15 and 25 pounds, but there were enough fish over #30 to keep things interesting. The storm swells we had and the weird water conditions combined to keep the numbers down, but they were still the most common fish out there. It is a good possibility that the swells produced by the storms and the rain in the mountains may result in more floating debris during the next week, and with that a better chance to find a concentration of fish, at least we can keep our fingers crossed for that!
WAHOO: What Hoo? Bad moon phase combined with the strange water meant that if there were any Wahoo found it was pure good luck. I did not hear of any fish caught this past week.
INSHORE: Fishing for Roosterfish continues to improve and the best results were found by anglers either slow trolling mullet just outside the surf break during the day or soaking live bait at night in the 50-60 foot zone. There were fish to #80 caught but the average was 20 pounds. The large storm swells had a definite effect on the inshore fishing this week so other than the Roosterfish; there is almost no action to report. Almost all the inshore action was from Cabo Falso and up the coast toward San Jose.
NOTES: Sirius Radio “Elvis Channel” was the music for this weeks report! Once in a while you have to go back to the roots! Until next week, Tight Lines!

0 replies since Jul 17 2006, 11:50 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

Back to Mexico Salt and Fresh Water Reports

[ Script Execution time: 0.1424 ]   [ 9 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]